Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Moving right along.

Hello everyone from Bland, VA, where the name of the town is also its best adjective. Well, at least they have a library with computers....and a supermarket.

As it is raining, and one of the members of my new party is sick, we've decided to take a zero day. We figure it will help digest all the Dairy Queen we ate last night (mmm...blizzard).
Speaking of food, I just had a fantastic meal from yet another generous church. The Methodists, who were conspicuously quiet during Trail Days, are giving the Baptists a run for their money with their all-you-can-eat breakfast, including french toast, potato casserole, sausage, oj, coffee biscuits, and a little good bag with moon pies and granola bars. It was spectacular. The Baptists are still in the lead, however, in this winner-take-all hiker help-out, but with more strong efforts like these, the Methodists can easily pull ahead.

So for the last few days I've been hiking with 3 other guys: Waffle, Tea-bag (an unfortunate trail-name) and Just Mike (an Aussie). We've been pulling out the big guns lately, never dropping below a 15 mile day, with a 22 mile hike into town last night. So we're moving right along.

The next big town is Pearisburg, where I'm sure you'll hear from me yet again!

5 comments:

Mom said...

Glad you've got some new buds. You are really movin'!

Anonymous said...

Tea-bag? How do you even get that name in the first place? (note: I don't want to know. Shut up.)

My God though, I think you're eating better than most of us are. Are you going to manage to come back here fatter than when you left? :)

(Also, for your NBA update, Celtics are up 3-2 and Lakers are up 3-1)

Anonymous said...

I sit in my cube and eat my oatmeal and wish you the best! (And scheme on how to switch places...)
Sandy

Anonymous said...

moon pie.... what a time to be alive

Anonymous said...

I guess I have to regretfully abandom my statements about the pistons winning, because they didn't. But I strongly stand by my statement that Sam Cassell is a martian sent here from another planet, who just so happens to have above-average athletic ability.