Saturday, May 24, 2008

And I would walk 500 miles...

Aw man, I'm missing the Celtics in the Eastern Conference finals! They're going on right now, and I'm missing them!!
Oh well, they'll probably just end up losing...losers.

I just passed the 500 mile marker here and Virginia, and I'm still going strong. I'm staying at the church hostel here in Troutdale and the hospitality has been amazing yet again. The first Baptists really love hikers... much more than those second Baptists (I just googled the second Baptists, and they exist! I guess that makes sense).
Anyway, they had a huge cookout last night with burgers, dogs, salads, desserts... a lot of food. The only thing they asked in return was that we hear about what a cool cat Jesus was/is, and that we should try to find him on the trail. I'll see what I can do....

Hiking solo has been interesting. Although I'm on my own, I'm not really alone, exactly. I've been seeing a lot of the same people each night at the shelters, so I've been hiking with them on and off.
But being on my own schedule is pretty liberating. No more waiting for people to catch up, or catching up to people waiting for me. If I want to stop where I am and setup my tent for the night, I can. But Freefall, Spidey, No-amp, if you're reading this, it is not personal. It's just a nice change of pace to be alone.

Well, it looks like the sun is shining. Time to get back on the trail!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Celtics will lose again tonight, and their ultimate failure in the playoffs is inevitable. Aside from the big three, they have noone; Big Baby is a big failure, Sam Cassell is like 60 years old and looks like an alien, and fellow gangster teammates House and Posey are better suited in a federal prison than the playoffs. Pistons will continue their dominance. Anyway, glad that your shin is doing better and you're able to continue, i'll get mom and dad to send you some calorie + carb powder soon. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Well, that post failed at analyzing anything in a meaningful way. Except that all the stuff about Cassell is true. But there's clearly a tremendous amount of basketball ignorance because he didn't insult Perkins. Everyone should insult Perkins. And Doc. Especially Doc. He's the Grady Little of basketball.

Anyways, if you're looking for where the series are, the Celtics are up 2-1 and the Lakers are up 2-1.

Ben Ware said...

Glad to hear you are back at it man!

And the Celtics won't fail, sawyer is all wrong!