Friday, August 1, 2008

New England!

Hello from Dalton, MA. Taking a zero day here at a place called The Birdcage: This guy Rob lets hikers stay at his place, does their laundry and shuttles them around to wherever they need. The trail definitely needs more guys like him.

Anyway, Massachusetts has been a good hike so far. It's probably the wettest state I've been in yet as it seems like there is a stream, pond, river, lake, or swamp every mile. So we haven't had to worry about water too much. But this also means we have been attacked by mosquitoes pretty steadily, and thus can't take too many extended breaks during the day...which is probably for the best since the days are starting to get shorter again.

I'd show you all a photo of me on the foot bridge that crosses the Mass Pike, but the strict old librarians here won't let you plug anything into the PCs. I'm afraid to accidentally go over my allotted hour for fear of being beheaded.

We've begun to run into our first batch of SOBOs¹ recently, who bring stories from the north and take up our hostel space. But it's neat to think that they have just hiked what I'm about to. It makes it a little more real and much more imaginable.

Only 30 or so miles until Vermont! Can't wait.



¹ Thru-hikers hiking southbound (ie. from Maine to Georgia).

5 comments:

Mom said...

We definitely want your head to come along with you to Vermont...

Anonymous said...

Logan, congratulations on almost completing your journey through the appalachian trail. You should be very proud of yourself for doing this. Thanks for keeping the blog..its been nice to hear about everything. Good luck on your last leg into Vermont! I know your family can't wait for you to be home. Take care and I'll e-mail you when you get home. :)

matt.frades said...

nooooo

I zoomed in on your hiker icon on the map and you're in the middle of a highway. LOOK OUT!

Anonymous said...

In a few more miles you'll find that the air will become instantaneously more clean and crisp, the terrain will be as easy as a Sunday evening stroll, the billboards will miraculously disappear, and the songbirds will chirp a song that surely translates to "welcome home, fair Logan" in bird language

Anonymous said...

Logan! Welcome to New England! I have really enjoyed reading about your hike, and am so excited for you that you are so close to completing your goal! I have been doing tons of New England hiking in the past month, and have been on the AT a fair amount, and always think of you. I cant wait to hear all about it! I actually did an out and back on the Mahoosic Notch (supposedly the hardest mile on the AT) and all I can say is definitely do that section on a dry day! It was really fun though! Keep your eye out for the deer (you'll see what I mean!) Today I was out hiking in New Hampshire, and actually ran into Dan Townsend coming down the trail as I was going up with my dad! It was a big surprise to see him, but really great! Anyways, keep it up, you are almost there!!

--Molly--