Thursday, July 24, 2008

It's up to you New York

Apparently, I'm getting some sweet blogspam (this thing must be getting popular), so I'm hear by enacting a verification dealy to the comment system. I know it's annoying, but it has to be done.

I'm now in Pawling, NY taking a much needed zero to let my feet heal. I've been hiking with Briar, Earthbound, and Hot Tang, who you may remember from Georgia. We've been pushing 20 mile days here now since PA, and am definitely feeling it. But I'm only 20 miles from Connecticut, and that state's a breeze, so I'll be in MA by the beginning of next week! Hard to believe. So all ya'll Massachussetians should come out to see me (if driving to the Berkshires is your thing.)

A quick little story: One morning back in NY I was pumping water quietly from a stream nearby a shelter. All of a sudden I heard a rustling noise from behind me. I turn to look and see this huge head of a black bear calmly staring in my directing about 40 feet away. So I grab my gear and bust a move back into camp. The bear ends up following me. So now I get everyone's attention and they're all looking this bear that begins circling the perimeter of our tents. It was cool to see, but he was so unafraid! We eventually had to bang poles together and yell, but even that did little to scare him off. Earthbound and Briar actually had to move toward him while doing so and that eventually did the trick. Our guess was that he just wanted to pillage our camp for leftover food. Reasonable, but unsettling.

On to New England!

5 comments:

elizabeth said...

Hey Longshot, just saw your site posted by the Bulls, thought I'd say hello!we're around Arden right now gettin some sweet Trail magic you might have seen from Susan and John. lettin us stay in their house with all the amenities, I love this trail! hope the hikes going well my friend, say hello to Earthbound and hot tang for us. oh, and keep walkin north!
Hoot & Sundance

EB said...

Bear = just a big puppy. You should have brought it home with you :)

Anonymous said...

She's right you know. The bear just wanted your love and attention. And possibly the sweet, sweet bits of you attached to your bones.

Plus, how cool would you be if you rode a bear to work every day instead of a car?

Dustan and Betsy said...

Hey - you SHOULD slow down! We miss you. Right now...the climbs are killing us, we're hiking big days mixed with tiny days, and more currently, we're in NYC getting ready to chow down on NYC food and go to NYC places. See - it pays to stick with the Bulls because we not only have hookups in Manassas but also in Manhattan. :)

EB said...

Do random thoughts count as blog-spam? I saw your postcard this morning on my couch [yea I'm working on cleaning] and was wondering.

After all this, will taking a walk seem like the easiest nothing to do, or will you never want to walk anywhere again? :)

Hope this finds you well whenever you next this.