Saturday, July 5, 2008

I'm really full right now

Man, I've been cruising lately. Just made a big dent in PA, and am now in a little town called Duncannon. But more importantly, by crossing the mason-dixon line, I've returned to the North! Although you wouldn't know it around here from the confederate flags flying every which way. I have seen some Amish people already. That was cool.

So now, I've passed the official half-way point, and to celebrate, I participated in the "Half-Gallon Challenge." In Pine Grove Furnace State park, there is a little general store that sells half-gallons of ice cream, and as a rite of passage, each through hiker attempts to consumes one of these monstrosities. Some people try and fail; others don't even attempt at all. But I succeeded. I finished a half-gallon of Cherry Jubilee ice cream in 23 minutes (that's 1 pint every 6 minutes!). I may have suffered a pretty heavy food-coma afterward, as well as some third degree freezer burns on the roof of my mouth, but it was worth it! I even got a little wooden spoon that says I'm part of the Half-gallon club. w00t.

Well, I'm moving my way on up. Not looking forward to the upcoming rocks that PA is known for. Gonna rip up my feet something fierce.


Oh yeah,
Happy Birthday, Mom!

5 comments:

Dave Archibald said...

Logan ...

Dave Archibald said...

I've never been so proud ...

DRC Leary said...

I moved to Vermont, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, immediately after leaving UMass. I have a great memory of pulling up to my new apartment building excited to be part of this green liberal stronghold, eager to engage the local populous, gain their trust, and hopefully mingle with their womenfolk so that, in time, our differences might pass. The very first thing that I saw on that fateful summer day was my neighbor. Morbidly obese, in a sleeveless shirt, he sported a sidearm in a leather shoulder holster as he stood among his various broken cars, motorcycles, campers, boats, and soggy mattresses. No big deal, I'm from New Hampshire. What really struck me was that there, high above all the post-mortem technological hub-bub, flew the proud stars and bars of the modern American rebel with no concept of history, humanity, or community: the confederate flag. good times.

and happy birthday logan's mom!

Anonymous said...

These are the kind of lowered expectations that I feared you'd adopt when hiking this trail. You fit, in-shape, small-stomached folks are so easily intimidated. Those of us that are too fat to attempt such a hike, indeed even making the long trip to the fridge reduces us to quivering mass, struggling to breath even as we clutch the next candy bar in our trembling diabetic hands, could put down a half-gallon of ice cream without a second thought while writing this unreasonably long sentence.

What has happened to you?

Anonymous said...

ooooh long shot got served!