Saturday, June 28, 2008

A Civil War Celebration!

Virginia is over! Forget the fact I've walked 1000 miles:

Forget that I made it to Harper's Ferry, the "halfway" point of the trail. Virginia is no more. The state constituting 25% of the trail has been hiked. Don't get me wrong, I liked hiking it. But it went on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on and on.

Actually, trumping all of these milestones, is it bad that I'm most excited that I'm using Firefox 3.0, and that it's spectacular? I can't escape.

But yep, I'm in Maryland. And in two days I'll be in PA. And that will be my residence for the next 230 miles. On to the next.

Here's another Gem. This was posted on the doorway to a restaurant near the trail:

This isn't directed toward the hiker-trash...is it?

3 comments:

DRC Leary said...

what is your faux-derogatory self-effacing term? do you call yourselves, "hiker-trash?" just curious so we can rag on you at a later date. start carrying a blackjack and we'll call you a footpad. do you run into a lot of hiker-ism or are people there basically in acceptance of the fact that tourist dollars make the world go round?

EB said...

I just got back from a week long class. My condolences to your family!

Huge congrats on hitting the 1000 mile mark. Makes my knee hurt just thinking about it. Once I've gotten through finding my desk and getting through the email back log I shall figure out the math of my donation... OOR randomly pick a number and dare you to prove that I didn't do math!

Anonymous said...

Longshot - Congrats on your 1k mark and out of Virginia. I just posted the dollar a mile to the FSMA site [for the Virginia leg ;-) ]. I also recently returned from the services for Skylar...300+ in attendance in Sonoma. Brother Jim thanks you for your help and support of FSMA. He updated the www.skylarsfight.com site with a video used during the services. This should help you out if you need a little motivation to keep on trucking. The Bahrenburg family thanks you and all those that have donated to FSMA - means a lot to us during these sad times.

- Jack Bahrenburg, Skylar's Uncle