Monday, April 28, 2008

Visual Aids

Man, I said I wouldn't zero at Erwin, but the vortex (aka the group of people I'm hiking with) has sucked me in yet again. I'm currently writing from Uncle Johnny's Hostel in Tennessee, where it has been raining pretty steadily today. We got in last night after a 21+ mile day (new record!), and we were planning on hiking on today, but the rain coupled with our sore feet made us decide otherwise. But we're bunking with a bunch of cool people, so it should be a good time.
Some new hikers in our group:

Link to larger image

(top row: hollar, freefall, pixie poop, crabby. middle: Long-Shot, Brahma Bull, Sweet Potato, Chewy, Bert. guy with dog: muffin paste).

This was taken after eating the undisputed best trail magic thus far. These kind folks treated us to a Belgian waffle with whipped cream and strawberries, followed by homemade beef-stew, ending with a choice of dessert (brownie sundae, banana split, apple crisp, or cherry cobbler). All for free. It was amazing to say the least. Of course the books about god showed up at the end of the meal, but the couple wasn't pushy at all about us taking them. So a good deal all-around.

Here's picture of another friend we made along the trail:


Link to larger image

He's a five-foot long rat-snake who showed up in our shelter about mid-afternoon. We named him Sherman. Ya'll still want to hike this thing?


Here he is cozying up to our sleeping bags:


Fun times.
Well my goal now is to get out of Erwin tomorrow with less than 47 pounds on my back. That was the weight of my pack leaving Hot Springs. A lot of fun to lug up a mountain.
Till next time!
- Long Shot

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Beardo, vote for Quimby!

Mom said...

Love the beard- the snake, not so much...

DRC Leary said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
DRC Leary said...

you were born to wear that beard, i bow to your facial hair prowess.

EB said...

Mitch's idea is awesome.... I'd be entertained by it as well except I think I'd skip that growing a beard thing...

The beard works for you. :) Got the postcard and my first thought was "I should write one back! ..oh.. wait...riight."

:)

Anonymous said...

Hey you do sorta have a beardish-lookin' thing in that picture. Good for you. Guess I can't make fun of you for that anymore.

And I like the base camp idea. Except whenever anyone asked me if I was going to the top I'd just nod sagely and walk away without saying anything.

Erin said...

schweet... LOVE your new friend...

also, Leo, man of the house?! c'mon now... wait... wait... maybe you're right...

damnit.