Monday, April 21, 2008

Rancho Relaxo

After a 20-mile day yesterday (furthest yet!), I had an easy 3 miles into Hot Springs this morning. This is the first time the trail actually goes straight through a town, albeit a very small one. There's one road, and everything you need is on it: diner, hostels, outfitter, post office, dollar general. I did most of my resupply shopping at the dollar general. 8 fun-sized snickers for a buck!

The rest of the Smokies gave us some great weather with a clear view off of Clingmans dome. It walking through the leftover snow from the storm in the warm sunny weather was an amazing experience. At one shelter in the Smokies, we counted 38 people! 24 in the shelter, and the rest tenting. It's actually pretty cool though, since everyone continues to be very friendly and easy-going.

We've become separated from one person who was in our group originally. She met some guy and decided to pink-blaze1 it ever since Fontana Dam. Cool and all, but since she's sharing a stove and water-filter with another person in our group, it's made things a bit inconvenient. But who am I to interfere with Cupid's bewildering arrow?

Also, one of the straps on my backpack broke yesterday. So as soon I got into town this morning, I called REI to see what they could do (since I'm a member and all). And they're actually going to overnight me a new one! So I'll have it by tomorrow. What a company! But I guess if they didn't make such crappy gear in the first place, we wouldn't have to go through all this.

One last thing. I thought I'd share with you a recipe for some sweet trailfood I invented:

Ingredients:
1 tortilla wrap
peanut butter
trailmix

Directions:
1. Slather peanut butter on tortilla
2. Dump trail mix on peanut butter
3. Roll 'er up and eat it.

Here's what the reviewers have to say:

"What are you doing?" - Freefall

"Ew, that's gross." - Sweet Potato

"That's awesome!" - Brahma Bull

Oh yeah, I got a neat straw hat from a hiker box2. I feel it's pretty sharp.



1 To hike the trail whilst following a boyfriend/girlfriend/significant other.
2 A place for hikers to leave crap they don't want, and take crap they do want.

5 comments:

DRC Leary said...

i am so making one of those wraps when i get home

Unknown said...

The Dave and I have consulted. Both of us would eat those wraps happily, so its definitely not gross.

(If just Dave would eat something, its pretty gross. If Dave won't eat it, its not food.)

So far you're good :) But you should eat a rat, like on Survivor, just to be authentic.
We're pulling fo you!

Anonymous said...

You have a new hat!
My wish has finally come true.

Anonymous said...

8 Fun-Sized Snickers for a buck!!!!! Oh my favorites...can you pick up $50 worth for me and haul it up to VT - I will pay you back when you make it up here!

Keep on truckin' Long-Shot.

Anonymous said...

That's funny. I invented a similar wrap, but with Grape Nuts cereal instead of trail mix. And sometimes I put a banana in there too. Same idea though!