Tuesday, April 1, 2008

APRIL FOOLS!

One of our party is having blister problems at the moment (she's currently seeing a doctor), so we've decided to take a zero day. So another entry why not?

After telling you about the weather and the hike in general, I thought I'd go into a more human side of this trek. We've already met many colorful characters with some great trail-names, and I think a short bio for each might be appropriate:

Pirate - the proprietor of mountain crossing hostel at neels gap. An old, southern, ex-hippie who has supposedly hiked the trail 22 times. Gives away prizes each night that range from a brand new sleeping bag to a packet of Tabasco sauce (my lucky winning)--all over the Ghostbuster's soundtrack. Also rumored to be an ex-marine.

Ooftah - guy from Minnesota who brought his mandolin on the trail (great idea!). He sweetly serenaded us for a couple nights

Earthbound and Hot-tang - girls who started out with Ooftah, but are now separated. Likes: peanut butter, hitch-hiking, editing some guy's book along the trail. Dislikes: cold-weather, mice in shelters.

Inspector Gadget: guy from Connecticut hiking with many forms of electronics: Solar panels, battery chargers, pda, ipod, ipod speakers to name a few. Pretty neat, but I had the pleasure of hearing all about the cysts on his back a couple nights ago.

Cindy - woman from Ohio who just quit hiking after her third attempt. Sadly, she has a pretty negative attitude. She is currently talking with some pseudo-therapists here about who is really responsible for her actions (others? god? ...herself?)

Tortoise - Fairly large guy from Arlington, Virginia. I've only really seen him at hostels, which seem to be his hangout of choice. Dropped out of college and his parents are giving him $200 a month to hike the trail. Not a bad gig. Had the pleasure of sleeping above him and consequently moving to another bunk to escape his snoring.

The Colonel - never actually met, but people keep talking about this epic song he keeps singing. Supposedly it has sixteen verses, with people's reactions ranging from "pretty impressive" to "you shut the tv off for that?"

Red - twelve-year old kid hiking with his dad. Nice little guy, but he talks a lot of trash when playing cribbage.


As for me, the trail-name I'm going by is Long Shot. I felt left out for not having one (even though none of the girls I'm hiking with have one yet). Anyway, I think it captures the scope of this whole journey, while also representing a type of shot I usually take with my camera. I've got one guy calling me it...let's see if it spreads.

Well it's a beautiful day. Let's see if I can't catch some fish at this guy's trout pond. That's something to do. Long Shot out.

6 comments:

Mom said...

You go, Long Shot...

Mom

Sherene said...

So glad to hear things are going well. Sounds like things are going well...sorry about getting rained on. You had us all laughing in framingham when you went commando in someone else's pants. That was so kind of them to let you borrow them. We are rooting for you Long Shot!!!! Love the blog!!!!

Anonymous said...

Go Logan! Pump those crazy legs!

Wait, you guys have trail names? How... trail... name-y. I may have to call you that for the rest of your life, you know that, right?

Long Shot. Heh.

Anonymous said...

I was wondering when you would finally pick a trail name.. I had been hoping that you would choose Reggie Miller, then I think you would be absolutely untouchable on the trail. I saw They Might Be Giants last weekend and it was a phenomenal show, but I don't want to bait and torment you with tales from the civilized world. Enjoy yourself and get a fresh batch of clean underwear ASAP

DRC Leary said...

the wife and i were enjoying a sunday morning embrace when suddenly she looked to me and said, "i just realized what logan's blog means." now i'm a modern man with modern moral flexibility, but damnit logan... and from this, we began an amusing conversation about what "ga2me" meant. Sandy had initially thought it was the word "game" with a "2" inserted in it because you're just that hip. I had initially thought it was "Georgia To Me" where "Me" represented "Myself," as in, "I'm hiking from Georgia to find myself." I had also thought it might be a reference to the phrase, "That's homosexual to me," but that seemed out of character. It should be noted that I repeatedly failed geography in school, but we now know that it means, "Georgia to Maine." Or does it? You are a man of mystery. You should hike to Canada so you can be an International Man Of Mystery. Then you'll get all the chicks.

EB said...

Long shot. Nice. :) Would love to make some lewd jokes here too, but I'm sure nice people I don't know are also reading this!

I completed my first charity walk/run on Sunday. 4.2 miles along the coast so it was gray, high winds, random rain and freezing. My legs and hips have only started really calming down today.. and I'm doing a 3 mile thing on Saturday.. SO my point is I'm (yet again) just HUGELY in awe and admiring of your (and anyone else on the trail) ability to do this.

rah rah rah! Go Go Go! :)

oh yea.. and this is Elizabeth/Liz B, by the way... EBB are my initials.